In this blog, I will discuss all relevant details about the welding helmet for beginners. I will guide you step by step about the products available in the market. There are a lot of good welding helmets in the market for beginners. But it is always a hard decision to make and select the right welding hood, especially when you are a beginner. But you don’t have to worry about anything. Because I am here to give you a detailed analysis. I will create a list of the best welding helmets for beginners. We will discuss the pros and cons along with the features of the best welding hoods for beginners.
So, if you are a beginner in the welding field and looking to buy some quality welding helmets. As it is imperative to protect your eyes from harmful effects. Welding is a tough job and is risky if you are not using a top-notch quality welding helmet. During welding, dangerous lights like (UV) Ultra Violet and Infrared (IR) rays emerge. Which makes a terrible impact on your body, face, eyes if you do not protect yourself. You are at the right place to make an excellent decision. So, let’s get straight to the business. And explore some exceptional welding hoods for beginners.
Features of Best Welding Helmet for Beginners
So, you are a newbie in welding, right? So, you must know a few things before start welding. Before starting welding you must know the working of an auto-darkening welding helmet. Another important thing for you to consider is the safety of yourself and your body parts, especially your eyes. As welding is a tough job to handle. With time things have changed. They have designed modern equipment keeping in view all the safety measures. Which can harm the health and body of the welders. Some people might opt for a low-budget welding helmet as a beginner to which I agree to some extent. But I think that keeping in view the project and work you are going to perform. You must make the right choice considering health your top priority. The rest of the things are secondary.
The reason is quite obvious. Because of the amount of heat produced during the welding process. That is something which we must take into consideration. So, we need a proper professional welding helmet on top of your head. To protect yourself from the harmful effects of heat, light, UV rays. Sparks oozing out of welding can hit sensitive parts like the throat, neck, etc. The welding helmets and their lenses that are used nowadays have changed over the years as compared to the ones used a couple of decades ago. The UV and bright lights come out from the welding process. The lenses filter them in the modern beginners’ welding helmets.
Being a beginner with no prior experience. You expose yourself to too much risk and danger as compared to the experienced welder. So, you need to be on your toes while starting your work and project. And for that priority is the equipment you are using must be user-friendly, comfortable. Welding helmet for the beginners must be with a crystal-clear view. To make it easy for the newbie to carry on the welding task.
The vintage style of welding with goggles has now gone. There are many inventions and advancements in different fields on an industrial level. Along with industrial development, there is also growth in small level machines and products of individual workers like welding helmets. People related to different working fields have also benefited from this advancement. There are new advanced welding helmets for beginners with unique features are available in the market. These helmets make our job much easier thanks to the technology.
What Are the Top Welding Helmets for Beginners?
Our team has reviewed different welding helmets and it is not an easy decision to pick the top welding helmet for beginners. When you have so much variety in the market and every brand brings up some value in many aspects. But we have made it easier for you to decide. As we have come up with the following list of the best welding helmets for beginners available in the market. Now! Let’s dig into some deep and detailed analysis of the welding hoods. Especially for the beginners listed above.
YESWELDER is at the top of our list. Since they specialize in delivering the best gear and accessories. For all welding enthusiasts. They always strive for excellence by producing innovative welding machines and welding helmets. They have a wide range of tools that can people use at home or in the workplace. We can find their items in the hands of welders.
They are masters at making inspiring and long-lasting work all around the world. YESWELDER welding hoods for beginners are best. Because of its comfortability, better clarity, superior comfort. With the pivot style headgear and true color view with 1/1/1/2 Optical Clarity. Because of these quality features, it is one of the best welding helmets for beginners.
- Better Clarity
- Real Color View
- Light Weight
- Comfortable & Safety Latest Version Welding Helmet
- Technical Standard of ANSI Z87.1 / EN379 CE / CSA Z94.3
- Batteries Cannot Be Replaced
- It Doesn’t Come with Magnifying Lens
Jackson Safety equipment has been a remarkable trademark of quality for a century. We know them for long-lasting comfort, value, and safety with high standards. Jackson Safety Auto Darkening Helmet is top of the class. It has a high standard for welding hood performance. Jackson’s safety helmet has an auto-darkening filter lens (ADF). Which is best for the beginners in initial stages of the learning process. That is the exact reason they are the best fit for beginner welders
- Clear vision
- Quick adjustment and refocus time
- Superior optical quality
- High-density hood & Aerodynamic shell design
- 3 Position slider headgear, adjusting distance from eyes to lens
- Batteries Cannot Be Replaced
Antra is third on our list. Antra welding helmets always provide and deliver high performance. They are for professionals and beginners. Antra also proved to be top-class welding hoods for beginners and occasional welders. They always have provided excellent safety and protective measures while designing the helmets. They designed their products keeping in view the safety and protection of the welder. They meet their users’ comfort and convenience with premium performance arc sensors. Reliability and versatility are the trademarks of Antra welding hoods. Therefore, you can rely on it and it is best for beginner welders.
- 4 Premium redundant arc sensors
- Very lightweight, so reduces head and neck stress
- Full face neck coverage protects from spatters and harmful radiant
- Meets ANSI Z87. 1 Standards
- Versatility welding schools, welding shops, auto manufacturing and repair industry
- Glass quality could have been improved
- Flashback has been reported
Lincoln Electric Viking is a generation 4 welding hood. An auto-darkening welding helmet is the ultimate blend of comfort, productivity, and optics. Lincoln provides the best and ultimate solution to comfort with 6 contact points. Which manages the weight and drop pressure? Provide a personalized fit for the greatest comfort. Also, check our list of the 5 best Lincoln Electric welding helmets.
This welding hood provides excellent productivity with high-class optics. These new features leading an auto-darkening lens platform. Exclusive 4C lens technology provides a crystal-clear view for beginners. With the true-color view of the arc and puddle to enhance control of the welder. Which also increases weld quality while reducing eye strain.
- 4C Lens technology enhancing control & quality.
- 5 square inch view area
- Optical Clarity: 1/1/1/1
- Meets ANSI Z87. 1 Standards
- Shade Range: 5-13
- Overpriced for a beginner welder
Instapark GX-500S comes on no five in our list. Which comes with solar power, an auto-darkening filter switch. It can go from light to dark within 1/25000 sec. They have designed it with improved optics for 1/2/1/3 denomination. Which provides optical clarity and helps in minimizing eye fatigue which is imperative for a beginner welder.
It has a built-in solar panel along with a replaceable CR2032 battery. Auto-darkening filter is a great tool to reduce the need for flipping welding hood up and down. During the torch placements, this helps in reducing the stop and start time. Which results in boosting productivity. Designed and made of lightweight composite materials.
- Large 3.63” X 1.65” viewing area
- Variable shade adjustment from #9 -#13
- Stick (arc welding), MIG (Metal Inert Gas) TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas)
- Meets AS/NZS standards
- Provides good value with such price
- Lenses could have been improved
- Flashback has been reported by users
Beginners in welding always have ample time to learn new skills. Improving welding methods and styles. I would recommend Hobart for beginners. As it brings in a lot of value, considering the price range as compared to others. As it is very easy to operate, which is a plus point for a beginner welder. It is a high-performance helmet with a large viewing area and four arc sensors. Which improves visibility and welding quality.
The outer body is way much better as compared to the competitors in the market. It has 4 sensors, which make it very easy for the beginner without flashing eyes during work. One of the best parts of this welding helmet is the headband, which is super comfy. If you are looking for a welding hood, being safe while seeing the work you are doing is the right helmet for you.
- Large 9.3- square-inch viewing area
- Wide Screen provides improved visibility
- 4 Independent arc sensors which provide dependable arc detection
- Clear and visible grinding
- Sensitivity and timing are perfect
- No head straps
Passive welding helmets are also best for beginners in welding. There are different varieties for beginners’ welding hoods. Passive welding helmet by Miller is light. A perfect welding helmet for beginners with exceptional miller quality. These welding hoods are so much better in quality and safety. Which is imperative for a beginner to protect himself. With ease, clear visibility, and an auto-darkening lens, it enhances productivity. The welding hood is exceptional for any kind of application. Can operate in tight areas and in any weather.
- Large 15-7/10 inches viewing area
- High-class miller quality
- Good value for money with auto-darkening mode
- Durable in all types of weather conditions & industrial use
- Headgears need improvement
- Difficulties in adjustment
Miller Electric Auto Darkening Welding Helmer is on eight on our list and this is special. They have designed it with perfect controls and visibility. Which makes it much easier for a beginner to work on. This is a wonderful product for your money spent. Safety has been outstanding while using this welding helmet. Professionals have been using this helmet.
They satisfied all users with the built quality. Comfort level and visibility are worth the price. Clear Light Lens Technology helps in providing extra clarity and contrast. Redesigned headgear features provide extra adjustability settings. With enhanced support for better fit and comfort level.
- 3 operating modes weld, cut and grind provides versatility
- Clear light lens technology provides contrast and clarity
- Headgear features provide adjustability settings for better support and comfort
- Very lightweight putting less strain on head and neck muscles
- Easily adjustable mode setting with large buttons
- Hood movement stuck at times
- Knobs keep losing during long hours use
Jackson is a kind of brand known for its quality. We all know the reputation it has in the market for professionals in all walks of life. Jackson has always been an ultimate choice. Because of the quality, they have been providing over the years. We know them for their innovative safety solutions. Long-lasting value of their products and high-quality standards.
Jackson is an imperative choice for beginners welding helmets because of its excellent faetures. Jackson provides an unobstructed view during all stages of the welding process. This enhances the quality and productivity of work. Because of its autofocus lens solution, you don’t have to pull the hood up and down. So, it is an easy-to-use welding hood for beginners.
- ADF helmet with the best viewing area of 3.94″ x 2.36″ with optimal vision during all stages of welding
- Digitally Controlled variable shades from 9 to 13, helps in color recognition and visibility
- Multipurpose versatile use welding hood
- Meets ANSI Z87.1 2010 standards and is CSA compliant
- Speed Dial easy grip/turn headgear system
- The design could have been improved
- Build quality needs a little improvement
Deko Welding helmet is a good value for money to have in hand as a beginner. This is a welding hood with a high-class performance at a cheap price. Home users like DIY projects use Deko tools and, by tool, enthusiasts at home. Deko has designed this welding hood for beginners. Considering all the safety precautions. With a clean and comfortable view. Which makes it easier for beginners to learn with ease and comfort.
Deko designs with versatility with great personal protection. They design the equipment for industrial use for many processes. Plasma cutting, abrasive wheel cutting/grinding. They manufacture welding helmets for welding schools. Welding shops, auto manufacturing, and repair industry, ship factories, and DIY hobbyist projects
- Passive Filter with Permanent shade 13 to UV/IR
- Double-layered auto-dimming LCD shutter
- Face and neck coverage protect welders from spatters and harmful radiant
- It meets ANSI Z87. 1 Standards
- It is equipped with a standard 3.94’’×1.97’’ clear visor viewing area
- Not suitable for heavy load at industrial level
- A couple of customers have complained about shade power fluctuation
So, this is pretty much it. In this article, we have discussed ten welding hoods for beginners. We summarized the welding helmets for beginners. We also have provided the pros and cons of each welding hood for the beginner’s level. Which will make you understand better the value of money and the product itself. You are the one who will have to decide. Our opinions are about the products, their quality and safety measures. We have listed these 10 best welding helmets for beginners. You can also check our best welding helmet under $200.
Beginners select welding helmets that are low at cost. But keep in mind the safety measures they provide. Because the top priority for you must be your health first. Keep your body and eyes safe by using some quality products. Which provides better visibility, durability while using the welding hoods as a beginner. Weight is important, the welding hood should be light in weight. So that your neck and head are at ease, you are working. Happy welding guys! Keep up the good work and be careful while learning new skills!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the best welding helmets for beginners?
We have discussed the ten best welding helmets for beginners in this article. Below is the list of those beginners’ helmets in our professional view:
- YESWELDER True Color Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Filter Welding Helmet
- Antra Wide Shade Range 4/5-9/9-13 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Lincoln Electric K3034-4 VIKING 3350 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Instapark ADF Series GX-500S Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Hobart 770890 Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
- Passive Welding Helmet, Black, Classic MP-10, 8 to 12 Lens Shade
- Miller Electric 282000 Digital Performance Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Jackson Safety Insight Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- Welding Helmet Auto Darkening Solar Powered Professional Welding Mask
What shade of helmet is needed when welding?
Professional suggest to using #10 shade this filter offers the best protection against the amps the light gives during the weld. Generally, a standard helmet would use a viewing lens with static UV (Ultraviolet) and IR (Infrared) filters.
How dark should my welding helmet be?
Shades #8 to #13 are common weld shade ranges. When the helmet is down, you can see via a light glass, which allows for clear viewing and evaluation of the weld piece and surrounding area. The helmet will automatically darken to the color you choose once the welding arc is struck.