If you are ready to jump into the welding occupation either by profession or by hobby, then you are searching for how to choose a welding helmet. For any type of welding operation, Welding helmets are necessary. These Welding helmets are classified into two major categories, active or auto-darkening welding helmets and passive welding helmets. Both types have their strengths and weakness. It’s necessary to open a discussion about Auto-darkening welding helmets vs passive.
If you are looking for a comparison between an auto-darkening welding helmet and passive, then you are at the right place. After reading this article, you will get a clear picture of these welding helmets.
Table of Contents
5 Key Difference Between Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Vs Passive
Here are five key-difference between Auto-darkening welding helmets vs Passive that will clear your mind about the selection of welding helmets for your work.
The primary difference between auto-darkening vs passive welding helmets is a sensor. In an auto-darkening welding helmet, sensors are present that are powered by batteries. On the other hand, a passive welding helmet consists of a fixed shade lens supported with a transparent lens. You can also check the best auto-darkening welding helmet under $200. Here are some differences between auto-darkening and passive welding helmets.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets are costly, and on the other hand, passive welding helmets are cheap ones.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets help a lot of beginners to thrive in business. While the passive ones are for only experienced persons.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets work well even in tight spaces. While passive ones are restricted to the workshops or comfortable places.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets can help to perform different types of welding operations like TIG and MIG. On the contrary, the passive welding helmets don’t offer such a kind of opportunity.
Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The auto-darkening welding helmets are the genre of welding helmets that arrived in the markets in 1981. Speedgals released the first auto-darkening welding helmet. Soon after the first release, it dominated over the old one. It became popular among welders due to its auto-response to intense light. Let’s have a brief look over this stuff. Here in the following, you will find out different parts of welding helmets and their function.
There are several sensors present in these welding helmets. These sensors detect light’s intensity and activate a specific shade. This shade varies for different welding helmets. Usually, it activates shade number 10 while working. There is a screen in front of the welding helmet. It is just like a TV screen. The screen is composed of many layers of different filters. A welder should test an auto-darkening welding helmet before using it. There is also a dial inside an auto-darkening welding helmet, which allows the welder to set it for the different types of welding operation. All of the automation is just possible due to the presence of batteries. Batteries may be electric-powered or solar-powered.
Let’s look at the bright side of these active welding helmets. You can choose an auto-darkening welding helmet due to high-quality production, perform well in tight spaces, welder remain stress-free, save from random arc flashes, and a great thing for beginners.
- There is no need to change the torch position. It allowed the worker to focus on the welding object by reducing the head nodding.
- Welding in tight spaces is a laborious and risky task for every welder. These welding helmets facilitate performing best in such tight spaces for every welder.
- Tack or abrupt welding helmet is inevitable in most welding operations. This operation hurts the neck of the welder. These welding helmets are very much effective for such kinds of welding operations.
- Arc flashes affect the health of a welder as well as the accuracy of the work. Sensors present in auto-darkening welding detect the arc flashes and change the shade with an average of 1/25000 seconds. In this way, they protect the welder.
- ADF welding helmets are the best option for beginners. These welding helmets allow them to focus on learning without any fear of arc flashes or nodding the head.
There are a few things that prove a roadblock for these welding helmets. They are very costly, require too much care, and have secondary light effects.
- One who wants to buy an ADF welding helmet has to pay more than a passive one. The sensors, batteries, and LCD make it costly.
- Once there is something wrong with the helmet, your welding task can be a nightmare. So, auto-darkening welding helmet requires more care compared to passive welding helmets.
- It is difficult to work under the sun with these helmets. The sunlight intercepts to sensors. Other than sunlight, these sensors are also deceived by workshop lights. This is resolved with X-mode technology which is only present in a few welding helmets.
Passive Welding Helmets
Passive welding helmets are very simple in design. There are two lenses present in these welding helmets. The front lens is a fixed shade, usually number 10. The front lens is coated with IR and VR paint to save the welder from high-intensity emitting light. The second lens is transparent. This lens helps to inspect the welding operation. A welder has to flip up and down the front lens. It requires experience to avoid arc-flashes.
These welding helmets are the best option in terms of cost, weight, maintenance, clear view, and require only experience.
- These welding helmets are cost-effective. The reason behind this, there are no batteries and sensors present in such helmets.
- These helmets are light in weight as compared to auto-darkening welding helmets. The reason behind this is that there are no batteries present in these welding helmets. The light in weight feature creates comfort for the operator.
- Maintenance of these welding helmets is easy. In case of damage to the lens, they can easily be replaced. Other than the replacement, the lens for the welding helmets is economical.
- These welding helmets are optically clear than the ADF welding helmets. Because there are only lenses, not an LCD.
- Sensors, batteries, sensitivity control, or other things are not required. It requires an extra lens on backup to replace the damaged welding helmet.
There are also a few drawbacks to these welding helmets. Like these are suitable only for experienced persons, and perform well in the workshop. At a time, Specified with one type of welding operation, and selection of the right shade is very crucial.
- These are only suitable for experienced welders because they are synchronized to flip up and down from the fixed shade lens to inspect the operation.
- As there is a lack of electronics, these welding helmets are limited to a few types of welding operations. The welder cannot set it for a different type of welding operation like TIG, and MIG.
- As there is only a fixed shade present, there is a need for a proper selection of lenses. Otherwise, one has to face arc flashes.
- These welding helmets are limited to indoors. While working under the sun, there is an interruption of sunlight.
Let’s conclude a comparison between auto-darkening welding helmets vs passive. Best auto-darkening welding helmets are very much suitable for beginners and perform well in different kinds of welding operations like TIG, MIG. with the X-mode technology they work well under the sun as well. On the other hand, passive welding helmets match well with experienced guys. They are cost-effective and light in weight.
If you are an experienced one and have to work inside the workshop, then passive welding helmets are the best choice for you because they work well at an economic price. Otherwise, the second option of an ADF welding helmet is much more suitable for you.
Is it safe to use an auto-darkening welding helmet?
It all depends upon the user. If the user like to use an auto-darkening welding helmet, it is the best option for welder. Because it supports a variety of welding operations. It also minimizes the risk factor and helps the user to provide a quality job.
What should be the response rate of an auto-darkening welding helmet?
On average, the response rate of an auto-darkening welding helmet should be 1/25,000 seconds. Some welding helmets have less reaction time than the average response rate.
How important is a welding helmet important?
A welding helmet is an important safety gear for every welder. It protects the eyes and skin of a welder. Any type of welding is easy due to these welding helmets.
James is a welding expert, accomplished author, and trusted guide with over 8 years of experience in the industry. With his in-depth knowledge and engaging writing style, James has become a true authority in the field, offering readers and clients invaluable expertise and insights to take their welding skills to new heights.